Stadio San Paolo
AddressPiazzale Vincenzo Tecchio, 80125 Naples
Pitch dimensions105m x 68m
The San Paolo is a legend of Italian football, inaugurated in December 1959 and restructured for the 1990 World Cup, hosting Italy’s ill-fated semi-final with Argentina and England’s cracking 3-2 extra time win over Cameroon.
The ground is named after the Saint who is said to have landed on Italian soil in the Fuorigrotta region where the stadium now stands. Originally the stands were made of marble, but in 1990 the project created a new Press zone, athletics track and floodlight system that reduced the capacity from its original 82,789. It is still the third largest arena in Italy after the Stadio Giuseppe Meazza in Milan and Rome’s Stadio Olimpico.
Napoli fans fill the Curva Sud and an incredible atmosphere is always guaranteed. Even when the club slipped into Serie C, there was an average attendance of 50,000. The 1990 work was not done well, however, and due to structuring problems and security concerns, the capacity has been cut to 60,240.
After being denounced as “a toilet” by President Aurelio De Laurentiis, the San Paolo underwent refurbishment in the summer of 2018.
The old ground has seen better days though, and the Napoli owner is seeking permission to build a new, smaller stadium outside of the city.
The stadium is on the outskirts of the city and can be reached by the No 7 or 8 buses, underground train line 6 at the Mostra stop or by train at the Napoli Campi Flegrei station.