Italy manager pointed people into the direction of the FIFA ranking when asked about a potential readmission into the World Cup for the Azzurri.
A shock defeat to North Macedonia in the play-offs meant the four-time world champions miss out for a second consecutive tournament.
FIFA’s investigation into Ecuador allegedly falsifying documents of a player has led to suggestions Italy would be first in line for re-admission as they are the highest-ranked side not to have qualified, should the South Americans be expelled.
Italy FA chief Gabriele Gravina categorically dismissed the idea but asked about it, Mancini told reporters during the Italian Hall of Fame gala: “Let’s see. Rumours of a potential readmission came out due to Ecuador or Iran.
“Right now, we’re not there, but if someone is expelled, there’s the ranking.”
Meanwhile Mancini also said he believes Giorgio Chiellini, who captained Italy to success at Euro 2020, will continue to play football outside Italy.
The 37-year-old played played his last match for Juventus on Saturday and recent reports suggested he is on the verge of joining Major League Soccer side Los Angeles FC but there has so far been no official announcement on his future.
Mancini said: “I don’t know what he will think about the future but it seems he wants to play another year abroad.”