Napoli star Kalidou Koulibaly reveals he didn’t sleep for two nights after receiving racist abuse against Fiorentina: ‘I’d like to meet that person.’
The 30-year-old received racist insults after Napoli’s away clash against Fiorentina before the break.
Fiorentina and Italian authorities identified the racist fan and the Tuscans want to ban him from their stadium for life.
La Viola apologised to Koulibaly through their directors after the game.
“I’ve overcome that moment thanks to my extraordinary teammates and the staff,” Koulibaly said at a press conference ahead of Napoli’s Europa League clash against Legia Warsaw.
“I didn’t sleep for two nights, and I also thought I was wrong. They called me from Florence and it would be a pleasure to meet that guy to understand what happened in his head. I continue in my fight against racism, we are going in the right direction,” the defender added.
— calciomercato.com (@cmdotcom) October 20, 2021
Napoli are the Serie A table leaders with eight wins from eight games but have only collected one point in two Europa League games.
They picked up a 2-2 draw against Leicester City, but lost against Spartak Moscow at the end of September.
“Every competition has its own characteristics. We played well against Spartak but going one man down affected us. We’ll have to adapt to our opponent tomorrow, knowing they will sit deep. We’ll need to be patient.
“This group is one of the strongest I have played in. We had a lot of injuries last year, but we are a group of champions and we have to prove it on the field,” Koulibaly said.
The Partenopei will travel to Roma to face José Mourinho’s side on Sunday. Koulibaly believes the Azzurri can win the title, but must avoid the same mistakes they made in the past.
“It’s not the first time we found ourselves in this position,” Koulibaly said in an interview with Sky Sport Italia.
“It also happened in the past but perhaps we flattered ourselves, so we must remain focused now and focus on one game at a time.”