Lorenzo Insigne admits he had offers to remain in Serie A or even Europe, but after leaving his beloved Napoli, it was important to try as new an experience as possible at Toronto FC.
The 31-year-old Italy international failed to agree on a new contract at the Stadio Diego Armando Maradona and walked away as a free agent in July 2022.
While traditionally MLS was seen as somewhere for the end of a player’s career, Insigne knew he had to make a clean break from his hometown club.
“I had some proposals in Italy, but as I always said, I am Neapolitan and a Napoli supporter, so I would only wear that jersey in Serie A,” he told La Gazzetta dello Sport.
“There were offers abroad too, but I wasn’t really impressed with their projects, unlike with Toronto. It wasn’t easy, because I’ve never been so far from home, but I am living this experience to the full.
“Now I just want to enjoy myself and try to win with this team.”
Insigne made his debut on July 24 with Toronto FC and so far has contributed six goals in 11 appearances.
The league is currently on its winter break until February and so Insigne made the most of the opportunity to return home to Naples with his family.
It was especially important considering the trauma when he and wife Jessica lost their unborn child at an advanced stage of pregnancy.