Stadio Artemio Franchi
AddressViale Manfredo Fanti 4, 50137 Florence
Pitch dimensions105m x 68m
Florence’s neatly built stadium was inaugurated in 1931 – replacing the Stadio Giovanni Francesco Berta – but was only named after Artemio Franchi, a former Fiorentina Coach, in 1991.
The ground, located east of the city centre very close to Florence’s Campo Di Marte station, is built entirely of reinforced concrete with a 230 foot tower named the ‘Tower of Marathon’. Redevelopment for the 1990 World Cup involved removing the running track and increasing the seating capacity which is now over 47,000.
The lack of a running track means that the view and the atmosphere are among the best in Italy. The Viola Ultras who congregate on the Curva Fiesole are fiercely anti-Juventus. Despite a past of anti-Azzurri sentiment, Italy played their pre-2006 World Cup warm-up against Germany at the Artemio Franchi and have since used the ground again.
Despite its storied past, Fiorentina are looking to leave Artemio Franchi behind, with plans currently being developed for a new 40,000-seater stadium in the Mercafir area, currently where Florence’s largest fruit and vegetable market is situated.
Owner Andrea Della Valle admitted recently that the project could face delays, however, so the Viola are expected to remain at the Franchi for the foreseeable future.