Barcelona can’t afford Conte, Pirlo in race to replace Koeman

by | Oct 1, 2021 14:57

La Gazzetta dello Sport correspondent in Spain Filippo Maria Ricci claims Barcelona ‘don’t have the money’ to hire Antonio Conte, while Andrea Pirlo is still among the candidates to replace Ronald Koeman.

The Dutch coach is on the brink and could face sacking if the Catalans lose against Atletico Madrid at the Wanda Metropolitano tomorrow.

They’ve already lost 3-0 against Benfica in the Champions League earlier this week, so Koeman’s future at the Nou Camp is under serious threat.

Former Juventus coaches Andrea Pirlo and Antonio Conte have been linked with a move to Barcelona, but the former ‘Maestro’ appears as a more concrete option.

Conte is unwilling to get a new job before the beginning of the next season an according to Filippo Maria Ricci, Barcelona can’t even afford the ex-Inter and Chelsea coach.

“They don’t have the money for him, but they can dream because it’s free,” the Gazzetta dello Sport correspondent wrote on Twitter, replying to a comment from a user.

In his previous tweet, he had stated that Koeman would enter his last chance saloon at the Wanda Metropolitano tomorrow.

Andrea Pirlo is still in the race, but not the only one as club legends Frank Rijkaard and Xavi are also being considered by the Catalans.

“Nobody has said anything to me. It’s true that the president was here this morning, but I didn’t see him because he was preparing for the match,” Koeman said during his pre-match press conference on Friday, as quoted by Marca.

“He hasn’t said anything to me, but I have ears, I have eyes and I know that a lot of things leak out.

“I’m sick of defending myself. Anyone can analyse the situation of the club and the team.”

Pirlo is contracted with Juventus until June 2023, but according to La Gazzetta dello Sport, the termination of his contract would not be a problem.

epa08944932 Juventus' head coach Andrea Pirlo (2-L) and Inter's coach Antonio Conte (R) during the Italian Serie A soccer match between FC Inter and Juventus FC at Giuseppe Meazza stadium in Milan, Italy, 17 January 2021. EPA-EFE/MATTEO BAZZI

1 Comment

  1. SArcone

    They should just put Xavi in. It does not matter if he has little to no experience. That club has been ran into the ground for years. Give him time and the space to try and flourish. Even if they could afford Conte which they cannot, this serial moaner would want £1 billion a year in transfer requests. Why get Pirlo when Xavi knows the culture and the club.

Submit a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Club by Club News

 NEWS

RELATED POSTS
Share via
Copy link
Powered by Social Snap