Construction on Palermo’s stadium began in 1931 after previous structures were deemed unsuitable for the growing club. The stadium was first called Littorio in a reference to the fascism that defined the time, followed by Stadio Michele Marrone a few years later in memory of a soldier killed during the Spanish Civil War. Shortly after World War II, the stadium changed names again to La Favorita, a name which lasted all the way until 2002 and is still interchangeable to this day. In 2002, it became known as Stadio Renzo Barbera in honour of the former legendary President of the club from 1970 to 1980.
Major restructuring work took place in 1984 and prior to the World Cup in 1990, and it has seen several more modifications to meet UEFA qualifications in recent years. Palermo has a plan in place to begin construction on a new stadium once bureaucratic hurdles are surpassed.
Palermo nearly fill the stadium for most home matches and the noisy sea of pink and black creates a memorable atmosphere.
The Renzo Barbera is a fair distance out of town but is easily reached by bus – the No 101 leaves from the main railway station.