NEWS
Wednesday July 2 2014
Zaccheroni: 'Italy job not up to me'

Alberto Zaccheroni said it’s “not up to me to put myself forward” for the Italy job after he resigned in Japan.

The former Udinese, Milan, Inter and Juventus tactician won the Asian Cup in 2011, but handed in his resignation after the group stage World Cup exit.

He is repeatedly named as one of the options to replace Cesare Prandelli on the Italy bench.

“I can say exactly what I said last year after the Confederations Cup: many put themselves forward as candidates, but I am not one of those people. It’s not up to me,” said Zaccheroni on Sky Sport Italia.

“I think it is up to the Federation to evaluate the characteristics of the right Coach for this very important moment.”

Zaccheroni flew back to Italy this week and confessed he could even retire, because his bond with the Japanese players and fans was so extraordinary.

“Considering the experience I had and everything they gave me, it was only right that I paid the price for Japan’s exit.

“Despite a World Cup campaign that was not good, I had hoped to end my tenure in a positive way, but must admit I didn’t expect it to be this positive.

“The people waited for us in the airport to thank us for all we did over the last four years. I had already told the players in Brazil that I hadn’t renewed my contract, as it seemed right to leave room for a new Coach.

“The Federation adopted my style of football and it will continue under a new Coach, which is very gratifying for me.

“There was great affection towards me and it wasn’t easy to break away from that environment. Some players came to the airport to see me off. I’ve never seen that anywhere else in the world.”

Think you know your Italian football? Share your knowledge, tips and comments to win cash prizes in OLBG's tipster competition - £11,000 to be won monthly!

FOOTBALL ITALIA RELATED NEWS

TODAY'S FRONT PAGES