NEWS
Tuesday January 21 2014
Thohir: 'Opinions differed'

Inter President Erick Thohir explained why he scrapped the Fredy Guarin-Mirko Vucinic swap and called for everyone to “remain united.”

The club had already released a statement this evening confirming the transfer with Juventus had been abandoned.

An hour later Thohir added a new statement to the Inter website, giving more detail into the situation which Juventus dubbed “disconcerting.”

“After speaking to my closest aides and exchanging views with Massimo Moratti and his son Angelomario this morning, I decided not to continue negotiations with Juventus,” said Thohir.

“I felt it was not possible to reach an agreement on a deal in which the opinions of the two parties differed and which did not offer a clear financial or technical benefit to the club.

“As was said in the recent club statement, I have already asked our sporting directors to evaluate other transfer opportunities that will enable us to strengthen the team in line with the financial parameters imposed by Financial Fair Play.

“Again, I believe we must all remain united, the fans, the club and the team so that we can get back to the standing we all want for this club and that Inter deserves.”

The transfer had been on the verge of completion before angry fans bombarded the club with complaints, but the termination of the deal hasn’t stopped the protests.

A group of the Curva Nord ultras are now in front of the Inter HQ holding a protest and calling for the “rotten apples” to be removed from Inter.

The main targets are directors Marco Branca, Piero Ausilio and Marco Fassone

Think you know your Italian football? Share your knowledge, tips and comments to win cash prizes in OLBG's World Cup tipster competition - £10,000 to be won!

FOOTBALL ITALIA RELATED NEWS

TODAY'S FRONT PAGES