Roque Santa Cruz is expected in Bologna on Thursday for a medical after Hamburg confirmed he rejected their offer.
The 31-year-old former Manchester City, Bayern Munich and Malaga striker is a free agent after his contract with the Premier League side expired.
He had been considering a return to the Bundesliga, but Hamburg revealed their negotiations were over.
“Roque would’ve liked to play for Hamburg, but due to personal reasons his wife opposed the move,” director of sport Oliver Kreuzer told Hamburger Morgenpost.
“It’s a shame, as he is a player we could’ve really done with, but we have to accept the decision.”
Santa Cruz is expected to leave Paraguay this evening to arrive in Bologna for a medical on Thursday afternoon.
He is not their only new signing, as Inter striker Denis Alibec confirmed he’s joining Bologna on loan as part of an exchange for 17-year-old Alessandro Capello.
“In all honesty, I expected a more important club, but I hope to do a good job nonetheless,” said the 22-year-old. “Inter decided everything.”
Alibec spent the last two seasons out on loan at Belgian side KV Mechelen and FC Viitorul Constanta in Romania.
He had been offered a loan spell at Steaua Bucharest this summer.
Check out OLBG.com's list of ££ Free Bets from UK bookmakers before placing your bets!