NEWS
Thursday January 3 2013
Petkovic: 'It's Zarate's fault'

Mauro Zarate’s agent warned of “war” with Lazio over a January transfer, but Coach Vladimir Petkovic feels “it is his fault.”

The striker has been frozen out after refusing to sit on the bench, but a January exit is proving difficult due to Lazio’s9.5m price-tag and his wage demands. There continue to be reports of negotiations with Fenerbahce, but the player has no intention of moving to Turkey.

“The Zarate situation? I think it is his fault,” Petkovic told Panorama magazine.

“I tried in every way possible over the last three months to get him involved. Maybe it’s a defeat for me too. Someone said the club forced certain decisions upon me, but that is not true. The most important thing for me is the collective.”

The Coach commented on his debut Serie A season, which has seen him take Lazio to second place so far as well as progress in the Europa League and Coppa Italia.

“The mentality of Italian football is to focus more on the group than individuals. Today world class players cost millions and only a few clubs can afford them. Therefore we have to above all focus on using our resources and looking towards the future.

“We have good potential, but perhaps the squad is still a little too big. With careful scouting programmes and planning we can help the team to grow stronger at a sustainable cost, especially with young players.”

Think you know your Italian football? Share your knowledge, tips and comments to win cash prizes in OLBG's World Cup tipster competition - £10,000 to be won!

FOOTBALL ITALIA RELATED NEWS

TODAY'S FRONT PAGES