NEWS
Thursday October 4 2012
Perinetti: 'Palermo, it's over'

Giorgio Perinetti admits today was his “saddest signature” after putting an end to his brief spell as Palermo director.

He joined from Siena in the summer, but terminated his contract by mutual consent after the arrival of Salvatore Lo Monaco as CEO.

“This was the saddest signature of my professional career,” Perinetti told TMW.

“I wasn’t surprised by Lo Monaco’s arrival. All I could do was accept it. I respect Lo Monaco, he is a professional, but we have very different personalities and working together would’ve been impossible.

“Besides, there was the need for clarity at Palermo, especially as we have such different approaches to the job.

“I had President Maurizio Zamparini as my daily contact at the club and couldn’t just change that. There was no reason for me to stay.”

The patron publicly blamed Perinetti for choosing Coach Giuseppe Sannino, who was replaced by Gian Piero Gasperini after just three games.

“When Zamparini asked me two years ago whether Sannino was ready for the job, I said he should work in the provinces for another year to develop, so I hired him at Siena. At that moment, I had already suggested Gasperini for Palermo.

“This year Christian Panucci, Zamparini and I all agreed that Sannino was the right choice.

“I’m just sorry that I never got to put into practice my ideas to make Palermo more functional, including the youth academy. Now my successor will take that task.

“In any case, I remain fond of Palermo and the city, so will always be a Rosanero fan. I had been accustomed to working non-stop for 30 years, so will have to get used to this time off.”

Think you know your Italian football? Share your knowledge, tips and comments to win cash prizes in OLBG's World Cup tipster competition - £10,000 to be won!

FOOTBALL ITALIA RELATED NEWS

TODAY'S FRONT PAGES